Instructions for Completing an Online Application
- Before you begin the application process, please have the social security number (SSN) for the head of household ready. The SSN is being submitted over a secure environment, so there should be no security concerns.
- It is very important that you provide a correct mailing address/email address, and phone number so the local housing agency can contact you regarding your application. If your contact information is not correct then you will not receive information regarding the program and your name will be removed from the waiting list. You are not required to provide an email address but this is helpful as a contact source. Email is a quick tool to contact you rather than using the postal service for mail delivery.
- For the purpose of assisting the local housing agency in resolving any issues that may arise during the applicant process or to help in providing any special care or services you may require, you have the right to include as a part of your application, the name, address, telephone number, and email address of a family member, friend, or social, health, advocacy, or other organization. This is an optional question and it not required to submit your application.
- The online application is designed to be quick and easy to complete. You have an initial 20 minutes to submit the application. If more time is needed to complete the application an additional 20 minutes is provided. The clock does not start until you enter your SSN.
- You should have paper and pen ready to write down a confirmation number provided to you once you have completed the application. This is your notice that you are on the waiting list. No letters are mailed to notify you of your placement on the waiting list.
- If you do not receive a confirmation number after you submit your application, immediately reapply before the application deadline closes. It is important to note that if you do not receive an online confirmation number then, your application was not accepted and your application will not be on the waiting list. If you encounter any problems receiving your confirmation number, please email HCVWaitList@vhda.com before the waiting list closes. Issues reported after the waiting list closes cannot be addressed and your application will not be on the waiting list.
- Once a voucher becomes available you will be contacted by the local housing agency either by email or by letter. Your eligibility for the voucher assistance will be verified when your name is reached on the waiting list.